Sunday, August 31, 2008

Riobamba, Ecuador



The longest I have spent in one area which is a total of almost a week is Riobamba. The reason why I decided to stay here so long was I always wanted to climb a mountain over 20,000 ft and there was no way I was going to climb one without staying at high altitudes for a while to get acclimated for the climb. To start as you can see we took the train which was an adventure of it´s own. We spent a Friday night going to the rodeo and watched people get bucked off horses and bulls which could have used a few more meals. To help me get adjusted to the altitude, I took a tour on a mountain bike that started at the first refuge at an altitude of 15,500 ft. From there we rode 25 miles, for the most part it was down hill, but I had a blast. The following day I caught a bus that dropped me off at 13,500 ft, and from there I hiked up above the second refuge at an elevation of just under 17,000 ft. I caught a ride back to Riobamba and rested as much as I could knowing that tomorrow I was going to try to climb up to 20,700 ft.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke,
Mountain biking at that altitude must be quite different than here in Colorado. Way to go man. I rode Green Mountain 3 times over Labor Day weekend and now imagine adding 10,000 feet in elevation. I would'nt have made it with the shape I'm in.
I love hearing about all your adventures.