Monday, July 6, 2009

Manali, India & motorcycle ride toward Leh

















In Manali I decided to rent a motorcycle and ride up towards Leh, which is about as north in India as you can possibly go. It is deep in the Himalayan mountains and some of the passes are nearly 18,000 feet. I didn't have enough time to make it all the way, but in 2 days I spent 20 hours riding as far as I could there and back. It was my favorite days in India although by the time I got back, I couldn't sit down for a few days after since my bum was bruised from riding down the bumpiest road in the history of mankind. As I climbed up the last pass toward Manali, I ran out of fuel and had to hitch a ride in a truck over a dangerous mountain pass. At times I wanted to just walk instead of be in that truck, but I survived.

1 comment:

Sarah Dawn said...

those pictures are freaking amazing!!!