Sunday, January 26, 2014

Okavango Delta, Botswana

The Okavango Delta is the world's largest inland delta.  It covers roughly 17,000 sq kilometers and it's packed with wildlife.  To enter the delta, we canoed about 5 miles up stream and spent 3 days camping.  It was so incredibly hot here that when you hopped into the water, it would barely cool you down.  






We decided to take a scenic flight over the delta to grasp the magnitude of it's size and wildlife.  It is a very unique and beautiful place.







This was my first experience canoeing with just a pole and pushing off the bottom.  At first it was quite challenging as there is a current and the boats are narrow and long.  After a while, I got the hang of it and only fell in the river several hundred times.  Knowing there are hippo's and croc's throughout the delta, I must admit I was a bit scared of swimming but I survived to live another day.  Most people just had the locals take them around but my guide was chilling up front laughing as he was the tourist for the day.  

No comments: