Saturday, February 1, 2014

Malawi


I waited...... but no one called.  I was wondering how I could get this gem home. 

 


Rubber tree
It appears that they score the perimeter of the tree and funnel it into a small pail.  The liquid feels and smells ..........like rubber.





The photos above are Kande Beach on Lake Malawi.  It is of of the few lakes in the world that have fresh water tropical fish.  The swim out to the island took about 30 minutes and we guesed it to be 1/2 a mile. After 3 trips out and back, I was quite tired.  The snorkeling and sand were amazing and it was nice to take it easy since we have covered roughly 5000 miles of bumpy roads over the last 5 weeks.



A random sign :)








Don't bring anything with you when you walk around a local village.  Everyone will ask if they can have it.  I had at least 100 people ask if they could have my water bottle.  The kids like to flex their muscles at me and everywhere you turn some one is begging you to buy something.  They will even try to barter for the clothes you're wearing.  
  

1 comment:

sis said...

love ur pics! cant believe you have been gone five weeks already...miss u :-)