Sunday, June 15, 2008

Rio Dulce Guatemala 6-12







The Boat ride up the river into Rio Dulce was awesome. As we got there we found they have a waterfall (Finca Paraiso) that is hot water so we decided to go and check it out. We got on the most disgusting bus I’ve ever seen in my life for a 45 minute ride to go swimming. Because the bus was leaving in 10 minutes we decided to grab a quick bite from a vendor and for about a dollar, I enjoyed a tasty little lunch. After swimming in the waterfall we were informed that there was a cave that is hidden up around the bend. For 10 dollars we hired a tour guy in the middle of the jungle to show us where this cave was. I had not planned on hiking and although it was a very poor choice trekking through extremely steep jungle in my flip flops we took off. My flip flops were making it too dangerous to walk so I was hiking bare foot to go see some cave with some guy who didn’t speak English. Half of our group had cut themselves along the way and when we got there I couldn’t believe what I saw. The river that we were swimming led right in a huge cave and came strait out of the mountain. As far as we could understand he said to swim up the river into the cave? It was shaped very narrow with high walls and as we got in the water we found that we could not touch the bottom. We put on our head lamps and started to swim in with another couple that we met. It was definitely the coolest thing I have done so far! Traveling is getting easier and more exciting by the day...... I am having a blast. On our way back from the waterfall we missed the bus and we had to hitch-hike but all was well. Tomorrow we are taking a bus for a 5 hour trip to Lanquine which is supposed to be a really fun place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't have a water proof camera to take pictures of the cave. That would've been awesome! Way to get over your germ-a-phobia! That bus looked wicked gross!