Thursday, June 26, 2008

Volcan San Pedro 6-22





After the worst night of sleep in my life and sore from hiking Volcan Tejumulco two days earlier I decided that I had to get a great view of Lago De Attilan from the top of one of the Volcanos. Getting up early to meet my guide which cost me $10 US I found that I was the only one going up that day. When I met my guide I was thinking, “Is this guy going to even make it up the mountain?” I was also disappointed when we took off when I found that we were going to just walk to the trail head which was about 1.5 hr of walking uphill. Getting on the trail for the first 45 minutes it was up but very enjoyable. For the second 2 hours it was like the world’s largest stair stepper I have ever seen in my life. My ego was severely bruised as I watched my 59 year old guide laugh as he moved so quickly up the mountain as I nearly passed out from exhaustion as I tried to keep up. Like always the view is always worth it and I didn’t realize how many problems they had on this trail until after stopping on the trail 3 times so that he could check for bandits and on the way back down all the other groups had 2 police officers along with a guide. All I have to say about this day is look at the man who kicked my ass up a mountain!
P.S. He hikes it 2 times a week for the last 30 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke,

Your going to let an older man work you on the stair stepper? LOL... Cool view!