Sunday, July 13, 2008

Isla De Ometepa, Nicaragua






If you were to take a boat across Lago de Nicaragua it would take 14 hours. Somewhere in the middle is an island that has two Volcano´s on it. The ferry ride costing about 2 dollars, was an interesting adventure with about 200 people packed on a boat across the lake. This area is breath taking beautiful and it looks like it belongs in a fairytale or fantasy novel. I spent one night in Altagracia which is definately a city in need of some major upkeep. I took a tour around the island and met some nice folks from good ol Colorado. On our tour we saw some petroglyphs, hot springs, and a ton of free roaming farm animals. While swimming in the hot springs I cut my foot open on a lava rock which has been struggling to heal now for 2 weeks. I would have enjoyed to spend a few more nights here on the other side of the island but I am trying to get to San Jose in hope to meet up with a friend or two from Colorado. I took another ferry off the island and spent the evening in the little town of Rivas, Nicaragua. From there I caught a bus onward to San Jose Costa Rica!

No comments: