Sunday, July 13, 2008

Granada, Nicaragua




My bus arrived into Managua and we caught a 45 minute shuttle to Granada. I was actually surprised to how nice Managua was compared to Tegucigalpa. Finding my way into Granada I felt like I was in a different version of Antigua in that both cities are very old and have a ton of history. Granada is the oldest colonial city in Nicaragua found in 1954 and walking around Granada you can see that they have many structures that have withstood years of battles. Nicaragua is not known to have the most stable government at this time, and it is expected to get worse here soon. Granada is also located on Lago De Nicaragua which is the largest lake in the western hemisphere expect the Great Lakes seperating USA and Canada. It is also said that it is the only lake in the world to have fresh water sharks in it! Other then touring around the city for a couple of days, I caught a ferry to visit an island in the middle of the lake that has 2 volcano´s on it.

No comments: