Sunday, August 10, 2008

San Gil Caves and Paragliding











Today had to be one of the most exciting days of my trip so far! We started the day by going inside a cave which was located in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. Entering the cave we had to crawl through some areas that were so tight I could barely fit inside. The lights that were provided were about the quality of a 2 dollar flashlight with half dead batteries. After going not to far I was sure we were at the end of the trail until I finally figured out that the guide was telling me to swim underwater for 10 feet or so in a certain direction to get up on the other side. I was really really concerned, but I decided to go for it and came up to find that were were able to venture about another 40 minutes deeper into the cavern. There was also a spot where it was so tight and it was so long that the only way to get through was to roll like a barrel for about 45 feet. I was seriously about to freak out a couple of times on our way through but I made it. All and all it was a blast looking back and the group we were going with was AWESOME! After the cave everybody in that same group decided to go parasailing. Something's are hard to put in words but it was nothing short of amazing. It was really scary since I was the heaviest guy there and all of the guides were arguing on who was going to take me. The first time we tried to take off we went about 20 feet up and fell right back down to the ground. The second time we went running off the side of a steep mountain side and at a few points I thought we were going to hit the trees. Not shortly after we ascended to at least 1000 ft up and soared in the sky like a bird.......It was one of the most exciting experiences in my life. To end the day our entire group went out for pizza and a few beers. The entire day was full of belly ripping laughs and one exciting event to the next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously....are you smoking crack? I said calcualted risks...I think your calcualtor is broke? I was pannicking reading the cave thing. I would have said "No way Jose!" was that his name by the way? They say, "that which does not kill you makes you stonger.....and crap your pants" Ok I made the last part up,,,but....if you break your legs para sailing like that again...don't come running to me : ) Cheers! Kipp-

Bobbagwell said...

Man I should met you at a place where I could paraglide. That looks awesome