Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hanoi - Halong Bay, Vietnam




























Most travelers I talk to don't rave about this capital of Vietnam. In Hanoi it is semi chaotic to get around, but the city has quite a few things to check out if you like history. My favorite experience was a conversation with a student in a museum about Communism and the history of Vietnam. Hearing history in Vietnam although some of it is not really true, makes you really wonder how people feel about the rest of the world and how most of the world is wearing a very dark pair of sunglasses to even their own history. Another thing I really enjoyed was taking a tour through the prison which Senator John Mc Cain spent 5 years in. I really got a kick out of how the tours make it seem like American POW's were at nothing more then a summer camp. This was a very educational stop for me and next I have decided to take a 3 day trip to Halong bay for some fun in the sun, kayaking, caving, and the best part.....Everything is included for 40 USD. Unfortunately the weather was not as nice as I was hoping but it was like a 3 day party with a ton of activities. The people on the trip were great, scenery was beautiful, and I had a lot of fun so that's all that really important! While we were on a hike, a girl twisted her ankle and she was freaking out because she didn't know how she was going to get back. Lucky for her I am like a pack mule and I carried her a couple of miles. I was actually surprised that I wasn't even tired or sore from this thanks to South America.

4 comments:

Kana said...

Hey Luke,
If you get a chance to get up early check out all the people doing tai chi at Ho Kiem Lake, it's a pretty spectacular sight! And if you have the opportunity you should go to Laos. Take care of yourself and post some pictures!!!
Kana

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke

nice pictures, i remember the places!!

Take care

PokerMichael

hambone said...

sweet trials bike bro...just like home! ha

Teresa said...

It's a good thing that you are used to carrying that crazy heavy backpack that you could help a fellow hiker out! You go Luke!