Wednesday, May 10, 2023

El Camino Day 12 & 13. Itero de la Vega to Carrion de los Condes and on to Bercianos del Real Camino

The last couple days feel like I’m walking through Kansas.  The landscape has flattened out, and the distance between the villages is increasing.  On day 12, I walked a little over 20 miles. On day 13, I walked a little over 31 miles.  I definitely feel like I’m passed the blister phase although the feet are still pretty sore at the end of the day.  





I walked with Carlos for about 5 hours on Day 12.  His English was nonexistent, but we managed to have a good conversation.  Unfortunately, we spent about four of these hours trying to figure out what the other person was really trying to say.  Coming up in about a week, my longtime best friend is coming to visit, and I will be taking some time off from walking to go hang out and travel around Spain for a few days.  When Jack arrives, we were going to head north up towards the coast. Carlos fortunately lives in this area and was very helpful giving me a lot of good ideas and places to go.



It might seem like I’m walking through Kansas, but I’m sure thankful that somebody was thoughtful enough to plant the longest row of trees I’ve ever seen.




I know I’m making you jealous, showing you my sweet accommodations, but here they are.


One cool thing about walking the Camino is, if you walk up and sit down at a table by yourself, somebody will ask you to join them.  I ended up having dinner with a group of about 10.  We were eating at a tapas restaurant, and somebody decided to order the pig ears.  This moment brought me back to my early days at All Phase (Work) when we used to have what we called cultural Tuesdays.  We would bring in the most disgusting odd thing we could find, and we would eat it…. Well some of us did at least.  I will say, I ate one, and I will not eat this again.  The texture of this is absolutely disgusting.







Day 13 was by far my longest day of walking so far.  I ended up walking with Scott for about four hours, and had a lot of great conversations along the way. 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun with Jack. Ng

Anonymous said...

Surely you’ve run across R.K McMurphy…your accommodations look like they’re directly from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Great job on the latest post! We’ll start up cultural Tuesday again when you return.

Danny said...

Very funny your conversation with Carlos...I remember 25 years ago when I came to the states that in any conversations my hands were more tired then my mouth...Very happy for you pal and I hope you'll have better conversations.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you’ve met some really great people along the way. Enhancing your experience and memories. I hope you have fun with Jack! -TT