Monday, June 9, 2008

Sailing from Caye Caulker to Placencia, Belize






Everything in Belize is so expensive and I was thinking that my money was not going to make it very far at this rate. I decided that outside of my snorkeling trip, I would go do one fun activity that was expensive. In reading my guide book, it recommended that the sailing trip from Belize to Placencia was one of the top rated things to do and it got me to where I wanted to go. For US $275 it was a 3 day boat trip stopping along the way to fish, snorkel, and explore the islands along the way. A week ago I was asking myself if I would ever get on another sailboat, and here I go again. I decided that I had conquered sea sickness and I was not going to take any motion sickness pills. Although other people got a little sea sick, it didn't bother me.......YEAH!! Getting out on the sailboat I got to snorkel 8 times, did a little spear fishing, and met a great group of people. Everyone on the boat was very laid back and we had a great time exploring our way to Placencia. On our first night we camped out on an island that was so small I could walk around it in about a minute. On the island, Rendezvous Caye we pitched tents, had a campfire, and enjoyed the best coconut curry I've ever had. Along the way we stopped on a little island with a light house and ended up spending the evening on Tobacco Caye. This island had about 20 houses, 1 bar, and a restaurant. After snorkeling the reef for the last 3 days and being on a boat with 11 people, I was ready to get a place for the night to clean up and get some good rest. I had a blast getting to know everyone and I hope to run into a lot of you along the way, or in the future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luke,

I've never seen you give up on anything yet so keep going and see the world. Make sure you take lots of pictures for those of us not so daring.

Take care man!

Jared

Anonymous said...

Spear fishing. Now, I'm very jealous. Good job man. Any regrets so far or are you looking back, pittying us?

-Joe

Anonymous said...

Just got your last time stamp. Looks like you are finding boat travel the best way to get around down there. I was concerned when you first took off from Tampa - the time stamps were coming in every 5 minutes and I had a gut feeling it wasn't going too well. You were a long way out and very committed - thought about you a lot. I also can sympathize with your comment about having very mixed feelings about your trip when you first got to Belize. Very few people can put everything in their life behind them and try something else. You have to be highly motivated, or very adventurous. More pictures and descriptions please. Lots of people are experiencing your trip thru you.

Larry and Gretchen said...

Luke! I can't believe you stayed on Tobacco Caye! Larry and I were there 5 or 6 years ago. We loved it!

continue the happy travels, we'll keep checking in.

18 more days until we leave for our big adventure.

Be safe and have fun!
Gretchen and Larry
www.BrewCycle.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke,

I haven't received a spot email in a while. Just getting a little concerned. Please send me one or call me soon! I'm excited for you and keep your little chin up and keep on keeping on! You are doing such a great adventurous thing. I totally envy you! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Merlin and I are glad to here that you are having such a good time. We are so used to talking to you every day, that it seems kind of empty only hearing from you a couple times a week. I look forward to your tracking texts, but when I don’t receive one, I start calling to see if anyone else got it. If a long period of time goes by without one, I will be in route to find you. I keep up with all that you are doing on your blog, enjoy all the pictures, and comments posted from ALL your friends.

Your Grandpa & Grandma are still at the Bluegrass festival in Arkansas. They are enjoying it, and all their friends. I hope when I reach their age, I’m that healthy, and active.

I’m glad you were able to go snorkeling. Koby is learning to snorkel, and he swims like a fish. When you get back he will be ready for you to teach him to water-ski. I went with Melissa to Brady’s baseball game last Wed. night. He is a natural on the field, and bats as good left handed as he does right. I haven’t made it to Stef’s softball game yet, but hope too soon. Melissa is still putting in long hours at the post office, but her and the kids look forward every night to checking out your blog. She said that it is actually a learning experience for all of them. I am glad that you two have always been so close.

You know that I always look forward to your call anytime day or night, so don’t forget it. I want to know that you are safe

LOVE YA:
MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Well I erased the note I had started since we just talked.........wow...just wow. If I didn't have the baby to help with, I think I would load a back pack and join you what an incredible journey. I love everything about it.....talk later.......LMC

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,
Sure enjoyed our talk the other day. I miss your postings on the computer.
Melissa had us over Sunday for a party and all of us sure missed you. We had grilled steaks which Merlin cooked and you know how good they are. I took strawberry shortcake for dessert and remembered how much you love my sweets, especially my christmas cookies. Melissa talked a lot about how she misses you, as we all do,so stay safe and return to us and know all of us envy you being on such a wonderful trip around the world.
Grandpa says "HI" and he misses you, but knows you are having a great time.
We Love You,
Grandpa and Grandma Duke