Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bocas Del Toro, Panama






If it's the beach vibe that you dig along with somewhere entertaining to go every night, Bocas is definitely a place that you would enjoy to go. In Bocas Del Toro I decided to invest 3 days of my time to get certified for SCUBA.............. again.... since I never finished my dives years ago and all the classes that I had took were now expired. I was glad that I did take the classes because it had been so long that I really didn't remember everything that I needed to, plus it came with 6 dives all at the cost of $200 dollars. Although the diving was fairly murky, we saw a shipwreck and as I came over the top of a sunken ship I saw a fish right by my head that was definitely the biggest fish I have ever seen in my life! It had to weigh 3-400lbs and even the dive instructor who dives there every day was saying that was a rare site to see. Unfortunately while I was there a guy staying in the hostel next door to where I was staying died while swimming in the ocean. Bocas is a place most people traveling through Central America funnel to, and from the time I got to and left Bocas I had ran into at least 25 people that I had met over the past 2 months. I am not sure if I had met him but my condolences go out to his friends and family back home. They have a lot of warnings about the rip tide out where he was and I guess it happens a few times a year, got to be careful! Well, you can't achieve life by avoiding death I guess. Visiting some of the beaches out in Bocas Del Toro are just ok, but there are a few that you can take a boat out to that are as pristine as it gets and...really what you would imagine if you were to think of paradise. I met a couple friends that were from Colorado, hung out and relaxed, and ate a ton of ice cream during my visit to Bocas. On a last note while leaving I ran into the guys from California that had one of their bags stolen on the bus in Costa Rica. He had a new passport, a better attitude, and was still out to finish his trip! Good luck Matt and Jeff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey Hey Luke!

Things are great back home really busy this summer. I'm glad that you are playing it safe. Sounds dangerous where you are. I'm glad to hear that your adventures are continuing. We miss you back home buddy!

Unknown said...

And when you say you met a couple of friends from Colorado, do you really mean two super rad girls? Yes. I think it is. Had a thought about you today and wondered where you were in your travels. Linds and I almost decided to not come back and sail from san blas to Colombia. We're still wishing we'd gone for it. Hope all is well.