Saturday, August 23, 2008

Otavalo, Ecuador


Here I go as I enter Country number 8. My first stop in Ecuador took me to Otavalo. I was definitely exhausted after spending 4 hours waiting in line for them to stamp my passport to enter Ecuador. Here I was meeting up with Michael a friend from Switzerland who I met on the sailboat from Panama to Cartagena. On every Saturday morning they have a market which is loaded with tons on neat things that you can buy. My trip is about new experiences and I would not go back, but we went to watch a Cock fight. They put spikes on their feet, make them angry and let 2 chickens peck at each other till the death. It was actually not really entertaining but it was an experience.




This is my friend Michael from Switzerland that I have been traveling with now for a couple of weeks. His English is B- material but if you have a conversation with him, it will always end in a good laugh. While in Otavalo we celebrated a 24th birthday for another friend of mine from England and it made me think of what my birthday will be like turning 30 in Peru next month. I hope that I don´t find leaving my 20´s too depressing but I guess there is nothing I can do about it. What better way to turn 30 is there when I really don´t plan on working 1 day that whole year! There is a thought to digest for a bit!



This here was the toughest chicken around! The people raise these chickens and bet anywhere between $50 to $5000 dollars to whose will be the last one standing. After that I guess they go home and have a good time or a really expensive chicken dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha but since we use your translater do we not have any problems with any language!!! haha lets catch the train....nice to travel with you PokerMichael

Anonymous said...

haha but since we use your translater do we not have any problems with any language!!! haha lets catch the train....nice to travel with you PokerMichael

Anonymous said...

When I was at home my dad raised fighting Rooster to sell......you think they are bad you should mess with one of the game hens and her little ones they don't need the spikes...I stayed home when they went to the fights in Sayre, Oklahoma........thought it was gross then still do. LMC

Anonymous said...

Cock fighting eh!? Well, like you said it's an experience.... ;) I'm sad that I won't be with you for your 30th birthday or you won't be here for mine! I'm a little nervous about leaving my 20's as well. I guess what you always say (joe dirt) You got to keep on keepin on....