Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fatehpur Sikri, India


On the road again.


Young kids hard at work.




Who wants to go for a swim?







These palaces were carved out of stone and the detail and amount of time it must have taken is impressive.





This UNESCO World Heritage site between Agra and Jaipur is definitely worth a stop along the way. It was actually the short lived capital of the Mughal empire between 1571 and 1585. Because of water shortages it was abandoned and the place still seems to be in a exceptional shape. There is a small city just outside and I enjoyed venturing through this area as I didn't see one other foreigner around. As you can see the green water in the picture above, that is all the sewage that runs from the city and drains into this place that forms a small pool. I was astonished to see the kids jumping into the water as if I would have touched the water, it would have probably killed me. It took me days to get over the fact that the most disgusting water I have ever seen in my life was being used as a swimming pool in this extremely dry area. Because this site is a bit out of the way, I don't think too many people come out to see it and as I headed on toward Jaipur I stood in the road waiting for a bus to pick me up!

No comments: