Sunday, June 14, 2009

Jaipur, India


I just love some of the faces you can see here in India.


Probably not the best idea, but here is me trying to charm a real cobra. As I played the instrument, it wiggles and stares at you. The music almost puts the snake in a trance.


Just me and the DUDES OF INDIA!


A friend (Chris) that I was hiking the Annapurna circuit with ended up hooking back up with me here in Jaipur. Every time I get on one of these rickshaws the guys driving look like their about to die. I like the exercise and weigh more then 90 lbs so I volunteer to drive and that is way more fun!


This is actually the largest in the world and the King of India (1700's?) used it to haul water from the Ganges river to the UK in fear that the water wouldn't be suitable for him to drink there.
This is the city palace. The old city is mostly painted pink, as it is known as "The Pink City."

Janta Mantar was a really interesting place with all different types of sundials that were incredibly accurate.





The Amber Fort.


Probably a bad idea feeding the wild monkeys as they seem very unpredictable but.......I couldn't resist.


I met this couple from Spain in a train station while I was trying to find my train. Come to find out I had the seat right next to them and enjoyed the 16 hour journey chatting with them. They were moving on to Jaipur when I got off in Agra and didn't expect to see them again but due to illness we ran into each other again in the same hotel. We took a tour of the surrounding city out to the Monkey temple and Amber fort which was one of my favorite days in India so far.

I am starting to see this often now but I can't help but laugh. You know it's getting hot when they are replacing the cows with camels.


I am not yet 100% feeling better still from Varanasi but I am getting close. Not feeling well is a very tough part of traveling. When I got to Jaipur I decided that I was going to take it a bit slower to recover some of my energy. For my 4t stop in India I again have really enjoyed my stop in Jaipur. On a daily basis you have mixed feeling about India but every time I look back I really appreciate what I am seeing here. I am also amazed how smart some of the people selling you things or begging are. As most everyone in India speaks English, as you see other travelers come along and they will quickly switch to another language and carry a full conversation. Seeing a small 6 year old speak multiple languages who looks like they would be able to barely speak one is something I will never forget. One thing that gets old here quickly is everyone asks you the same questions over and over again.

1. Whats your name Mr?
2. Where are you from Mr?
3. Do you like Obama?
4. Want to take my picture?......OK 10 rupees!
5. Or please come look in my shop.

3 comments:

Lill said...

Again your pictures of the people capture the essence of your trip……Love those best but not to interested in adding India as a stop over on one of our trips. Lill

Anonymous said...

especially when you talked about seeing a dead body floating down the Ganges river the first day you were there!

Dad

Lill said...

Sorry to note you will miss the Michael Jackson onslaught......Lill